But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus might also be carried revealed in our body…therefore we do not lose heart. (2 Corinthians 4:7-10 and 16)
In a very realistic piece of writing, out of his own experience Paul describes Christians as those who are always going through it (and there nothing changes!) but never going under (at least not for long!). In times of strain and stress in all parts of the NHS, we come to find the resources God promises for ourselves, and to pray for others.
- In the last decade visits to A&E have risen by 50%. Pray for all involved in caring for patients who come into A&E departments, for peace in the midst of the pressure, focus in the midst of tiredness, and protection from mistakes that the stress can bring
- There are currently 107, 000 hospital beds, a fall of 1/5th in 5 years. With changes in social care policy, approximately ¼ of those beds are occupied by people aged 85 or over. Pray for those making decisions about resources for the NHS, and that there may be joined-up thinking across the Social and Health Care sectors.
- Pray for all who work in the caring professions, and also for their families who often share the effects of the pressure.
- Pray for nursing students on their placements, and for those preparing to join courses beginning here in September.
- Pray for staff at HESAS: for those leaving this summer, that they may have a sense of direction for the future; for those remaining, that they may have a clear sense of priority as they cope with potentially increased work-load; and for those who carry the responsibility of leadership in the faculty on into the future.
- Pray for all the patients and staff at Aberdare Hospital, especially for Christian staff, that they may carry the peace and compassion of Christ as they work.
- Pray for all involved in Health Care in South America and the Caribbean, especially any known personally to you