*Transgressing Gender in the Bible*

According to Genesis, when God created human beings, “male and female he created them”. But experience suggests this does not mean that every human being is either completely male or completely female.
St David’s Uniting Church, Pontypridd, in co-operation with the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement South Wales, is hosting an evening with the theatrical performance activist Peterson Toscano entitled
“Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible”

Drawing on inspiration from one-to-one interviews with transgender and gender-queer individuals, Peterson weaves their experiences with the stories and lives of transgender and gender-variant people right on the pages of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures.
Hilarious and moving, this one-person play deepens well-known (and lesser-known) Bible stories.
The event is at St David’s Church in Gelliwastad Road on Friday 29th May at 7.30 pm. No need to get a ticket. You are invited to make an optional donation of £3.
For more information, reviews and an interview with Peterson, go to: www.petersontoscano.com

About chaplaincy

We are the Chaplaincy to the University of South Wales
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to *Transgressing Gender in the Bible*

1. Stephen says:

Disgusting you will stand before a holy God one day and have to answer for the fact that you allow something in what you call His church that He in the old and new testaments calls an abomination, I pray that before that day you will repent of this obvious blatant sin.

2. Hamish Fyfe says:

I suppose some kind of splenetic response to what is being proposed in Pontypridd is to be expected. In a week in which the Church in Ireland is coming to terms with a litany of ‘obvious, blatant sin’ that it has taken years to acknowledge one might have hoped that some parts of the Church’s obession with sex and gender might have taken a back seat for a while, out of shame if nothing else. If the kind of energy, anger and worry that your correspondent Stephen brings to the event in Pontypridd could be chanelled towards what many people, who may be members of religious faiths or not want, in making the world a more just and less judgemental place that would be a good thing.

3. Jonathan says:

As an Evangelical Christian who has this year dealt with a student who has tried to commit suicide over gender identity issues, I am disappointed that so many Christians do feel the same way as Stephen. Unfortunately as my fellow blogger has already pointed out Church is not without its problems and I am sure that God will have something to say to Stephen about ‘he that has not sinned throwing the first stone.’ If the Church had a little more grace and significantly less bigotry then maybe its demise would be halted and its founder given His rightful place in society.

4. James says:

Liviticus 20 verse 13 says:
    “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

As a christian, I believe the whole bible and not just the bits I like!
    The above scripture tells us that the act of homosexuality is an abomination to God and that they will not enter the kingdom of Heaven when they die.
    Others believe that this scripture gives the right to persicute them, but God also gave us our own “Free Will” to make our choices in life.

I agree with Stephen above, and the true christians need to stand up and be counted!

5. Jan says:

I am delighted that this performance was to take place, and I hope HAS taken place. I am neither gay myself, nor a christian any longer (formerly a bigotted bible basher), and am so pleased that this church has realised that the basic teachings of Jesus to ‘love one another as I have loved you’ means that we all get to be treated as ordinary humans regardless of our sexual orientation. I would have like to have been there, I expect it was uncomfortable for some and fun for others. These days I believe the Wiccan saying ‘if you don’t harm yourself or others, do what you like’, it usually stops me from doing a lot of dodgy things, rather than trying to make Bible verses fit people’s way of life. Good on you, St David’s and the L&G Christian Movement S Wales, may you go from strength to strength in your attempts to lead the blind into the light! I’ve a sneaking feeling Jesus might have been in your audience if he’d been around today, rather than outside waving a placard against homosexuality (woops!)